Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Wild times in the studio

Recently, I was working on a writing project that involved describing how it feels to be a wolf, so that seems to be what inspired this project. After working out a sketch of a profile of canis lupus, I transferred it to a grayish blue fabric with some texture. The lines are painted with black gesso to get a matte finish. The photo below makes the gray look neutral, but it’s fairly blue as seen above.
The fabric is pinned to 1/2 inch thick foam core, by the way. It makes a wonderful portable work surface that can be put on an easel, laid flat, pinned up on the design wall, whatever. I put a paper cutout around the silhouette of the wolf because the plan was for the background to be a light value. Then I started pinning on patches of fabric in somewhat realistic, but intensified colors.
Some of these fabrics had to be switched out later, but the only way to know is to try them out. One of the big questions was how much of the line work to cover up vs. cutting the patches so that it showed. I tried not to get too hung up on it. The first black fabric I tried was too busy, but this one has just a suggestion of dark gray swishes, which worked well.
The finished piece will be in my next post, hope you like him so far.



8 comments:

Susan Miller said...

Wow, that is wonderful, I love the texture of the fabric.

Quilt Rat said...

Can't wait to see the finished piece.....he is completely FABULOUS!!

Isn't it funny how we see a fabric we are sure will work only to cut it, place it, and then substitute. It is usually the pieces we have doubts about that work so wonderfully.

Mama Pea said...

That's really neat and very creative. Do you have some sort of iron-on adhesive on the back of those pieces of fabric?

Unknown said...

Thanks, y'all! Mama Pea, I don't like using fusibles generally speaking... if I had to iron it onto all of my stash, I'd go bonkers. After positioning the various pieces, I use a basting glue such as Roxanne's to hold them in place, about 1/8" in from the edge. I like the texture of the loose edges, though they can get in the way while free-motion quilting!

Libby Fife said...

Loreen-I have been lurking on your blog for awhile now and just wanted to say hello. I appreciate that you include so many details for your pieces-the how to items. It is really helpful in understanding your finished results so thanks! Plus, I just like looking at your work:)

Take care!

Anonymous said...

Way cool! I'm amazed at the way you use this medium. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Way cool! I'm amazed at the way you use this medium. Love it!

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

This is just fantastic! I almost like the cutdown version that you posted as a hint...your not sure what it is and then you see his eye!

Gorgeous fabric choices as usual.
I am excited to see him finished as well.